University Links: Home Page | Site Map
Covenant University Repository

Geoelectric Delineation of Aquifer Pattern in Crystalline Bedrock

Sunmonu, L. A. and Adagunodo, T. A. and Adetunji, A. A. and Oladejo, Olagoke Peter and Alagbe, O. A. (2015) Geoelectric Delineation of Aquifer Pattern in Crystalline Bedrock. OPEN TRANSACTIONS ON GEOSCIENCES, 2 (1). ISSN 2372-6466

[img] PDF
Download (2095Kb)

Abstract

Groundwater is ubiquitous and immensely important for human uses but there is inadequate supply especially in the basement complex terrain as most boreholes are either abortive or can’t yield sustainable water to wells. This research tends to delineate into the subsurface in order to understand the aquifer pattern in Ogbagba area. A geophysical survey involving twelve vertical electrical sounding (VES) was carried out at some selected locations in Ogbagba. Resistivity meter was used to acquire the geophysical field data. Conventional partial curve matching and WinResist software was used for the data processing. 75% of the aquifers in the study area are confined aquifers while the remaining 25% are unconfined aquifers. Also, three probable aquifer units were delineated where clayey sand has 75%, sandy clay constitutes 16.7% and fractured bedrock shares the remaining 8.3%. The study revealed that insufficiency of groundwater exploitation in the study area is due to the geologic formation of the aquifers and the depth to which groundwater is been abstracted. If these mistakes are corrected, Ogbagba will henceforth start to enjoy groundwater exploitation adequately

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Confined Aquifer, Crystalline Bedrock, Fractured Basement, Unconfined Aquifer, Weathered Layer
Subjects: Q Science > Q Science (General)
Q Science > QC Physics
Divisions: Faculty of Engineering, Science and Mathematics > School of Physics
Depositing User: Mrs Hannah Akinwumi
Date Deposited: 19 Jan 2018 08:26
Last Modified: 23 Jan 2018 09:51
URI: http://eprints.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/id/eprint/10077

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item