University Links: Home Page | Site Map
Covenant University Repository

Review of Aquaculture Production and Management in Nigeria

Ozigbo, Emmanuel and Anyadike, Chinenye and Adegbite, Oluwatobi Samuel and Kolawole, Peter (2014) Review of Aquaculture Production and Management in Nigeria. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture, 4 (10). pp. 1137-1151.

[img] PDF
Download (244Kb)

Abstract

Fish is an important source of food, income, employment, and recreation for people around the world and it is a very important source of animal protein for both man and livestock in developed and developing countries. In Nigeria, the current demand for fish is about four times the level of local production. Humans consume approximately 80 percent of the catch as food. The remaining 20 percent goes into the manufacturing of products such as fish oil, fertilizers, and animal food. Fisheries and aquaculture are integral parts of agriculture which were found to have the capacity to increase the country’s GDP (Gross Domestic Product) and can solve the unemployment problem for our teeming youths if adequately managed. Therefore, this paper reviewed the status of Aquaculture in Nigeria, its problems and development prospects, different fish species that can adequately thrive in Nigerian pond and its preparation, and finally showed some first-rate management practices that can boost aquaculture production in Nigeria

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Aquaculture; development; management; production; stocking
Subjects: Q Science > QH Natural history > QH301 Biology
S Agriculture > S Agriculture (General)
Divisions: Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences > School of Biological Sciences
Depositing User: Mrs Hannah Akinwumi
Date Deposited: 20 Feb 2015 10:04
Last Modified: 20 Feb 2015 10:04
URI: http://eprints.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/id/eprint/3561

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item