University Links: Home Page | Site Map
Covenant University Repository

Heavy metal analysis of selected soft drinks in Nigeria

Ogunlana, Olubanke Olujoke Heavy metal analysis of selected soft drinks in Nigeria. Journal of Global Biosciences , 4 (2). pp. 1335-1338.

[img] PDF - Published Version
Download (96kB)


There have been reports of the presence of heavy metals at a concentration above the limit specified by the World Health Organization (WHO) for food and drink products in Nigeria. This work was designed to compare the levels of zinc, copper, lead, cadmium, iron and arsenic in selected Nigerian soft drinks with the specified recommended limits by the World Health Organization. These heavy metals in selected Nigerian soft drinks were estimated by Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy after digestion of soft drinks with nitric acid. The results obtained showed that 30% of the selected drinks conformed to WHO specifications for the heavy metals analyzed while the remaining 70% had heavy metal contents which exceeded the maximum limits specified by WHO.

Item Type: Article
Subjects: Q Science > QD Chemistry
Divisions: Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences > School of Biological Sciences
Depositing User: Dr. Olubanke Olujoke Ogunlana
Date Deposited: 09 Apr 2015 10:16
Last Modified: 09 Apr 2015 10:16

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item