University Links: Home Page | Site Map
Covenant University Repository

Municipal Solid Waste Generation and Characterization: A Case Study of Ota, Nigeria

Olukanni, D. O. and Mnenga, Myem U. (2015) Municipal Solid Waste Generation and Characterization: A Case Study of Ota, Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental Science and Toxicology Research, 3 (1). pp. 1-8. ISSN ISSN: 2408-7262

[img] PDF
Download (210Kb)

Abstract

This study is aimed at assessing the rate of solid waste generation in Ado-Odo Ota local government, Ogun State, Nigeria and its associated challenges. The study involved the assessment of procedures available in waste collection, treatment, disposal practices and compliances with institutional rules and regulations. The survey involved the use of structured questionnaires, interviews, on-site observations and focus group discussions in the various communities that was grouped into 7 zones. The data assessed captured social demographic, housing, socio cultural-characteristics, sanitation and hygiene behaviour and problems with poor sanitation. Both quantitative and qualitative techniques in data collection and analysis were utilized as main instruments. The results of average solid waste generation per capita per day for each coded zone are 1.44kg/h/d, 0.29kg/h/day, 0.22kg/h/d, 0.52kg/h/d, 0.57kg/h/d, 1.47kg/h/d and 0.94kg/h/d for zones A to G, respectively. The solid wastes comprised of biodegradable materials which amount to 38.49% while non-biodegradable take the remaining 61.51%. It is therefore recommended, that a sustained cooperation be developed among all key actors (government, waste managers, public health workers and inhabitants) so as to implement an economic, sustainable, and reliable management practices. This would help in realizing the potential resources that could be generated from the waste materials.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Solid Waste Generation, Ota, Characterization, biodegradables, non-biodegradables.
Subjects: T Technology > T Technology (General)
T Technology > TA Engineering (General). Civil engineering (General)
Divisions: Faculty of Engineering, Science and Mathematics > School of Civil Engineering and the Environment
Depositing User: Mrs Hannah Akinwumi
Date Deposited: 04 Sep 2017 12:28
Last Modified: 04 Sep 2017 12:28
URI: http://eprints.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/id/eprint/9090

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item